Big Brother

by


Working at The Australian Red Cross has been an eye opener of an experience. In terms of first-time office experience post-uni I truly believe it has been unique. Besides working with a rainbow team of personalities, people and cultures I have experienced a non-profit environment, witnessed humanitarian aid in practice and come up against endless ethics over policy scenarios.

Being a humanitarian organisation means group meditation sessions, chill out rooms and on mass flu injections are the norm here. I am however, stubborn and still traumatised by 1984. As such I believe on mass work force flu jabs are unnecessary and are a mild form of institutionalisation which should be avoided. Flu jabs are for the young, vulnerable and the elderly. The flu and common colds are just an unfortunate part of human existence; there is no cure. You simply have to tough it out and get better.

So after sharing my opinions with the office, shock horror, about how I felt it was institutionalisation, Big Brother like, creepy and a presumption of my health. We all departed for the weekend, clutching their left arms whilst I smiled smugly to myself over my current unbroken seven months of rude health. No I still don't have a Medicare card, I haven't been ill once remember?

Until now. Who came into the office on Monday morning with the early signs of a cold? Who had to take today off with the full blown, guns blazing flu? This guy. Oh yes.


Irony? Bugger off.