Chase the wind

by

The company of women has restorative powers. To be in the literal bosom of other women who share similar values, express similar desires and communally convey exuding confidence with ease is an inexplicably comforting environment for one such as myself. 


Having spent the Saturday recovering from the night before, 4 am singing Dolly Parton on a questionably cream shag pile chez moi, I headed out to the eastern suburbs. Earphones firmly plugged in I passed myself with the other train 'deros' as they are so called. Rocking up at my fellow single girls flat. The lady has it all, the chickpad, the friends and the career. We flooded her front room with wine and conversation and I began to heal. Fast forward to 2pm today & suitably re-energised after Vegemite on toast, endless cups of tea & Tim tams & I board the train to be surrounded by Richmond supporters. Families bedecked in black and yellow with grins of anticipation peeking from their dimples. The woman opposite me fiercely clicking away at a black and yellow crochet master piece - the shape of which was yet undetermined but promised to be something unique. I grinned to myself as I hid my short skirt (a confident decision the night before) beneath my long jacket. 

I love this country. It's people, it's ethos and mainly it's women. Australia is home to some ballsy ass women. Unafraid to speak their mind and assert their goals. Anything is achievable in Australia should be the country's new tourism tag line. 
Truly the modern utopia. But then I guess after being buoyed up by good friends it is natural to only see the good side. 

I blew $50 on Groceries and flew home to my dank share house. Front yard strewn with various shapes and sizes of empty red wine bottles. No Internet again and a broken keyboard. I could not write. So I fled to Samantha's pad: a well lit, high ceilinged flat with a courtyard you only see in Italian movies. And now, one glass of wine down we are chewing over life and men. The two being inextricably linked. 

Taking these moments and cherishing them is what saves you from the bitterness that comes with time and age. Stop and be grateful for the people in your life who never cease to believe and engage you. They are the people you can turn to when the universe's wind beneath your sails becomes still. Recharge, relax and re-engage. Because sometimes other people's worlds are a nice vacation from yours. You're not running away, you're immersing in other realities. When you return to your dank red wine littered world you may take a new perspective and appreciation with you - ready to chase the wind once more.