Diary of an awkward intern

by

I have a PR internship. Well, a Social Media internship with a PR company. Which in my opinion is better. Don't believe me, well fine. But as far as working for free is concerned this is worth it. I am working with one of the forerunning companies in the industry, with awesome people who operate a 'No Dickhead' policy. As far as interning goes this is unheard of in the PR world. PR is known for it's dickhead-ish attitude, this company is a breath of fresh air and has changed the jaded view I once had.

Second week running and I even have a nickname; the Boob intern. Slowly beginning to get over the irony considering how well-endowed I am. Basically it's a long story involving me interviewing female colleagues on their opinions of their breasts. On my second day. Oh yes. This follows pouring a pint of water over my keyboard on my first day. As ever I am all elegance and professionalism.

At the end of the day I have succeeded, I have an awesome internship which I landed purely by chance by the skin of my teeth. I even have more work lined up the week I finish my internship. So why don't I feel like I've accomplished something? Why aren't I content? I guess because I know how long the road ahead is. And it's long. My reality is I will have to do at least one more internship whilst here in Melbourne and I will definitely have to do another in London.

Working for free in a highly paid industry, is there a keener irony. Why is it completely acceptable to expect young twenty-somethings to work for prolonged periods of time for free? Why has this become an established method of gaining employment? We live in the twenty first century where the common topic on everyones lips is the cost of living. If we are all so well aware of the costs of day to day life then why do industries encourage people at the very start of their career to bust a gut for free. We've hit the ground running but we're running on empty. We have air in our bank accounts and dust in our cupboards the majority of the time. Myself and thousands of other twenty-somethings can do nothing about it. We accept its the route to the career we are hungry for. I guess that's why I am not quite jumping for joy.

All that being said, I am honestly enjoying every second with this company. I am given responsibilities, my opinion is valued and encouraged and I am being thrown into endless new situations and environments. I come into the office each day ready to work on ten different things at once with the mantra running through my head of 'today is an investment in your future. Each day is a step closer and further along the path.' I cannot ask for more and I barely have time to really think about it. That and I don't eat anymore. HURRAH. There just isn't the time to think about lunch, never mind dinner. The only true downside is that my creative outlets have taken a serious back burner. I can tell this because my iPhone battery lasts all day. Seriously. I hardly tweet, I barely write and I haven't networked in over a week. Oh well. Find what you love & let it kill you. Bukowski you genius.